Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Meet Rowan of Rin

Year 5 present their written responses to the novel Rowan of Rin, by Emily Rodda, which they shared as a class "read aloud" book. If you read to the end you'll also enjoy seeing the students' "Bukshah" illustrations...


Lauren says: "We read a book in class and we had to basically rewrite it. We rewrote the second half of the story Rowan of Rin by Emily Rodda. I used Pages which I believe is the best app for writing activities. I learnt lots of new words and that I am capable of writing well."

Rowan of Rin
by Lauren

The quest has been incredibly tough. As we walked step by step we got glimpses of the hurtful sun. Rowan, Bronden, Allen, Marlie and I were struggiling to get up the towering mountain. Ellis had left us with a fear of spiders. He had left us because we had to go through a forest of spiders that swathed the trees. I got a droning voice by Jiller, Rowan's Mum, to take care and look after Rowan on the journey. I knew that the whole village of Rin was depending on the seven people going up the mountain to find the reason why the river is motionless.

By now four people have left, Bronden, Val, Allun and Ellis. They all left because the fear was over powering their faith in getting to the end and finding the dilemma of the river. Ellis left because of the spiders, Bronden left when they got to the mud and had visions of her friend Minner, Val left because Ellis and Val do everything together and Val could not last with out Ellis. Finally Allun left when we reached the dark cave that we had to swim through to get to the other side, but Allun couldn't swim so he left us. Seeing that my name is Strong Jonn no one thinks that I have a fear of something but I have a weakness that does let me down, but I tried to stay strong so that I could impress everyone and not be scared. My weakness is that I give up everything that I am doubting my self about. The looming mountain was testing my weakness to the limit. I have heard a lot about a dragon on the top of the mountain. It always has a deafening roar each morning but no one has ever seen the dragon because the mountain is shrouded in think layers of clouds. This weakness has stayed with me for my life.

As we got further on we had gone past the spiders that swathed the trees, the sinking mud, the swamp and the cave. The first night we sat around a warm fire and looked at the stars but all that you could see is the looming mountain that was shrouded in almost invisible clouds. By now Marlie has left us. It is now up to Rowan and I. The journey is coming to an end. But when we reached the top it all was too much. I was pulled by Rowan up the rocky, hard cliff and he screamed to me in a droning voice"Oh no" like there was a big dilemma...

"It... it's a dragon" Rowan gaped at me. It was a mighty dragon that was droning on the top of the towering mountain. We noticed that this is the reason why the water had stopped flowing because the dragon had a bone that was nestled in between both sides of the dragon's mouth. I could not last any longer it was to much. It felt like that two seconds after I got up that I was caught by the dragon straight away and I got forced to the wall after Rowan flung the bone out of the dragons widened mouth. Then Rowan found the problem the dragon had stopped blowing fire that melts the ice to give us water. It's the end of our big journey.When we returned to the bukshah Star came up to the fence with a new baby girl that she had when we were on our quest. And we lived in the village of Rin for years with the fresh, clean water.

Danielle says: "We had to write a book from a character from Rowan of Rin. I used Pages to make the story. We had to think what would happen after the story and write about it."

Bronden
by Danielle

It has been a tough journey.When Ellis left because of his fear of spiders then I left next.Because I saw my friend that had died then Val Alain and Marley left we all lost hope then.
 Till my fear over came me all I remember is seeing my best friend that died long ago I miss her dearly and I wanted to be with her and I left but when I went out of the mist she wasn't there I was going to go back but it I thought it will happen again so set journey back down the mountain.

When I went down the mountain I saw the disappointment on Jiller face she asked "me if Rowan was fine"   
I said "he was perfect i'm sure that Allun, Marlie and strong John will look after him"
Then we see Allun coming down the mountain most of us lost hope but every thing was going to be fine.Then the next day we saw Marlie we had no hope.

We hear a roar from the top of the mountain then the water started to rush we see star run to the water then the whole village followed her we see Rowan and strong John come from the river Jiller ran joyfully to see her son and she thanked strong John for saving her son then John said "Rowan saved me.Rowen wasn't the skinny rabbit that I thought he was he was the hero to our village and the bukshah he is now the brave skinny rabbit that was my journey down from the mountain.


Up the Mountain We Go
By Rosie

I am Bronden from the village of Rin, we live near a large towering mountain shrouded in clouds. I am a furniture maker and of course everyone knows that I'm incredible at that job. I'm bossy and I need to get my own way or you should be worried. There is a silly Bukshah called Star, I hate that silly thing.

There is a big dilemma in the village of Rin, the water has stopped flowing out of the mountain. I don't like there not being water because then the Bukshah will die and I won't get my milk and cheese and that is not acceptable.

Sheba frightens Rowan so much because he is such a skinny little rabbit and a total weakling. I can't believe that everyone is so scared to go venture up that towering mountain because I am just excited. Rowan is so exasperating.

So we are going up that mountain because we want to fix that water hole, and I just want to find out why that dragon is not roaring.

Bukshah by Angelita (using the app "Explain Everything") 

Bukshah by Phoenix (using Explain Everything)

No comments:

Post a Comment