Year 5 students have been learning about natural disasters this term. Here, for your enjoyment, are some of the students' reflections about the tasks and the work they produced on the topic of floods.
Aidan: "We were learning about floods and had an two SES volunteers come to our classroom and talk to us about floods. They also discussed what you would need in an emergency kit. Afterwards we were given the task of making our own emergency kit and presenting it in some way. I used Comic Life 3, because you can choose from a variety of templates, fonts and can create a wide variety of projects easily."
Chanel: "We had to create a flood emergency kit in Comic Life to help prepare for the bad storms this season. I took my own photos from home."
Mia L: "I wrote this piece of writing because we are doing our Geography work on floods and natural disasters. I used Pages which is easy to type in a long piece of writing and has lots of fonts and different colours for you to choose for your text. I learnt a lot from this task. We were lucky enough for Christa Adams to come in and talk to us and we also had SES volunteers come in to speak to us. I learnt how some floods are caused by hurricanes and other natural disasters and I learnt there are different types of floods like a riverine flood and a flash flood which is caused by lots of rain."
After days and days of rain my family and I were so relieved that the rain was over and there was a nice sunny day. Everybody had been outside mowing their lawns and that was when we got the flood warnings on the television from Anna Bligh. She said that anybody close to the river had to evacuate their homes because there was a massive flood on the way. We didn't believe her. How could it possibly flood on a sunny day like today. Footage on the news showed gushing water swallow Granthem and masses of rain up in the north. That's when we got the message it was time to evacuate the house. We found ourselves in the Hillsong evacuation centre, there weren't many people there because many people had found another place to stay. We had mattresses and blankets and slept there for a couple nights until the riverine flood was over and it was safe to return home and clean up the mess. The riverine flood was caused by so much water filling the Brisbane River, eventually the banks burst because the ground couldn't soak up anymore water. That's how the Brisbane River slowly crept up on it's prey and little by little devoured resident's homes and businesses.
We felt devastated when we got home, all our lovely furniture and memories gone. There was a ghastedly smell through the house and mud smothered the walls and all our furniture. We tried to hose off the house it was no use, that's when the fire brigade came along, they used their massive fire fighting hoses to wash all the thick sticky mud off the walls. Lots of people turned up to help, we had the SES volunteers and also the mud army which was made out of friendly strangers who heard about the natural disaster. It was tiring work, lots of companies helped with food supplies for the people who were helping out there was Zushi, a Chinese company who made sandwiches galore. We also had Rotary who cooked up a massive sausage sizzle. Lots of the areas around Brisbane that got flooded were repaired but sometimes people's insurance companies didn't pay for all the damage that had happend. The cafe Drift was never repaired because the insurance company didn't pay for when it floated down the river and collided with a bridge.
Brisbane went world wide because so many people from different states came to help out after what happened to Brisbane City. Councillor Christa Adams was being interviewed by so many foreign television companies and lots of volunteers and victims did as well. Lots of different counties admired what Australia did to help out what was called one of the biggest floods in Queensland's history. Every time it rains my family and I always get nervous and think about the 2011 floods and hope that we will never have to experience those terrible times again.
Maddy B: "This year we were learning about floods and we had to do a writing about flood for English and geography. We had to pretend to be a victim, an SES volunteer etc. and write what the flood was like from our character's point of view.We had a range of different resources to help us write about the 2011 Queensland flood. We used Qr codes, iTunes U courses, Videos etc. to help us write about flood and put true facts in about what it would have been like."
I am Willow Summers I am 15 standing in the courtyard with my sisters Hope who is
16 ,Faith who is 5 and brother Soul who is 6. We have just received a warning that Brisbane is going to be flooded my mum called me and told me she saw on the television the flooding in Granthem and told us to meet us at home.I was petrified and started thinking what if my family get separated? I was so scared our school was in the middle of evacuation.We will lose our home I thought cause our house is right by the river.
Three hours later......
I am trudging through the water home cause the water is now up to my waist clutching my sister Faith and Hope carrying Soul we arrive in front of the house where mum said we would meet and am staring at the destruction. I am frantically running screaming there names "Mum.......Dad" I started to cry and weep. I was so worried about Mum and Dad I didn't realise something important ....The water was rising and started pushing me and my sister and I were drifting apart and she was heading straight into the river where the water had broken the fence.My brother was screaming and squirming "I am coming" I was squealing as I tried running against the current. "Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhh" Faith shrieked I then grabbed her she gave me soul but as I tried to pull her up the water made my hands slip and she fell. "No" I shrieked .Faith and Soul were relieved as the water started too recede but in my head I was thinking it happened too late they were wondering what happened they were too young to understand what happened "where did she go"Soul stared making big eyes the eyes he usually uses when he wants something I said nothing "is she coming back" ......but he then began to sob cause secretly in his heart he knew she wasn't coming back.We made it to the evacuation centre and community response when they heard about my sister they came over and hugged me.I saw the community was helping people who had lost there homes.The mud army helping to get rid of the mud it made you feel good inside.The SES volunteers were delivering food just then I heard a voice a familiar voice "Willow" the voice called I turned around to see my mum "mum" I said running towards her and gave her a hug.But then a slash of guilt ran through me "mum I have to tell you something...ah.."I was interrupted by the screams of Soul and Faith running towards us "mum" they hollered "Soul...Faith I have missed you..." She look around "where..where's Hope" she stuttered she saw me beginning to wail "Willow what's happened"she looked concerned "she's ......Gone" I cried "she fell down into the river and drowned I tried to save her but my hand slipped and she fell" I snivelled.
5 hours later we were starting to help the community we helped make food ,clear mud and see others experience in the flood.It was truly a sight to see and I know that Hope would of loved it . I have it excepted that she wouldn't of wanted me miserable I thought as I went to give out food and it felt good helping after all I have been through.
5years later.... Reflection
We were visiting my sisters grave like we do every weekend I knelt down and placed flowers down "I miss you" I whispered. "The memories haunt me every night they are becoming less frequent but everytime I hear them I feel like I let her down.Still every morning is daunting thinking what if it happened again we could barely afford to get our house fixed and what if I lose someone else but that's why you should live everyday to the fullest...
Aidan: "We were learning about floods and had an two SES volunteers come to our classroom and talk to us about floods. They also discussed what you would need in an emergency kit. Afterwards we were given the task of making our own emergency kit and presenting it in some way. I used Comic Life 3, because you can choose from a variety of templates, fonts and can create a wide variety of projects easily."
Chanel: "We had to create a flood emergency kit in Comic Life to help prepare for the bad storms this season. I took my own photos from home."
![]() |
| by Aidan L |
![]() |
| By Mary F by Eva |
by Chanel
![]() |
| By Luca |
Mia L: "I wrote this piece of writing because we are doing our Geography work on floods and natural disasters. I used Pages which is easy to type in a long piece of writing and has lots of fonts and different colours for you to choose for your text. I learnt a lot from this task. We were lucky enough for Christa Adams to come in and talk to us and we also had SES volunteers come in to speak to us. I learnt how some floods are caused by hurricanes and other natural disasters and I learnt there are different types of floods like a riverine flood and a flash flood which is caused by lots of rain."
The Day It Flooded 2011
by Mia L
We felt devastated when we got home, all our lovely furniture and memories gone. There was a ghastedly smell through the house and mud smothered the walls and all our furniture. We tried to hose off the house it was no use, that's when the fire brigade came along, they used their massive fire fighting hoses to wash all the thick sticky mud off the walls. Lots of people turned up to help, we had the SES volunteers and also the mud army which was made out of friendly strangers who heard about the natural disaster. It was tiring work, lots of companies helped with food supplies for the people who were helping out there was Zushi, a Chinese company who made sandwiches galore. We also had Rotary who cooked up a massive sausage sizzle. Lots of the areas around Brisbane that got flooded were repaired but sometimes people's insurance companies didn't pay for all the damage that had happend. The cafe Drift was never repaired because the insurance company didn't pay for when it floated down the river and collided with a bridge.
Brisbane went world wide because so many people from different states came to help out after what happened to Brisbane City. Councillor Christa Adams was being interviewed by so many foreign television companies and lots of volunteers and victims did as well. Lots of different counties admired what Australia did to help out what was called one of the biggest floods in Queensland's history. Every time it rains my family and I always get nervous and think about the 2011 floods and hope that we will never have to experience those terrible times again.
Maddy B: "This year we were learning about floods and we had to do a writing about flood for English and geography. We had to pretend to be a victim, an SES volunteer etc. and write what the flood was like from our character's point of view.We had a range of different resources to help us write about the 2011 Queensland flood. We used Qr codes, iTunes U courses, Videos etc. to help us write about flood and put true facts in about what it would have been like."
Flood 2011
by Maddy B.
16 ,Faith who is 5 and brother Soul who is 6. We have just received a warning that Brisbane is going to be flooded my mum called me and told me she saw on the television the flooding in Granthem and told us to meet us at home.I was petrified and started thinking what if my family get separated? I was so scared our school was in the middle of evacuation.We will lose our home I thought cause our house is right by the river.
Three hours later......
I am trudging through the water home cause the water is now up to my waist clutching my sister Faith and Hope carrying Soul we arrive in front of the house where mum said we would meet and am staring at the destruction. I am frantically running screaming there names "Mum.......Dad" I started to cry and weep. I was so worried about Mum and Dad I didn't realise something important ....The water was rising and started pushing me and my sister and I were drifting apart and she was heading straight into the river where the water had broken the fence.My brother was screaming and squirming "I am coming" I was squealing as I tried running against the current. "Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhh" Faith shrieked I then grabbed her she gave me soul but as I tried to pull her up the water made my hands slip and she fell. "No" I shrieked .Faith and Soul were relieved as the water started too recede but in my head I was thinking it happened too late they were wondering what happened they were too young to understand what happened "where did she go"Soul stared making big eyes the eyes he usually uses when he wants something I said nothing "is she coming back" ......but he then began to sob cause secretly in his heart he knew she wasn't coming back.We made it to the evacuation centre and community response when they heard about my sister they came over and hugged me.I saw the community was helping people who had lost there homes.The mud army helping to get rid of the mud it made you feel good inside.The SES volunteers were delivering food just then I heard a voice a familiar voice "Willow" the voice called I turned around to see my mum "mum" I said running towards her and gave her a hug.But then a slash of guilt ran through me "mum I have to tell you something...ah.."I was interrupted by the screams of Soul and Faith running towards us "mum" they hollered "Soul...Faith I have missed you..." She look around "where..where's Hope" she stuttered she saw me beginning to wail "Willow what's happened"she looked concerned "she's ......Gone" I cried "she fell down into the river and drowned I tried to save her but my hand slipped and she fell" I snivelled.
5 hours later we were starting to help the community we helped make food ,clear mud and see others experience in the flood.It was truly a sight to see and I know that Hope would of loved it . I have it excepted that she wouldn't of wanted me miserable I thought as I went to give out food and it felt good helping after all I have been through.
5years later.... Reflection
We were visiting my sisters grave like we do every weekend I knelt down and placed flowers down "I miss you" I whispered. "The memories haunt me every night they are becoming less frequent but everytime I hear them I feel like I let her down.Still every morning is daunting thinking what if it happened again we could barely afford to get our house fixed and what if I lose someone else but that's why you should live everyday to the fullest...





No comments:
Post a Comment